Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Turkey Tacos and a Treasure Hunt

Our family dinner challenge is still going strong, although we've had to sneak in more restaurant meals than I would like...here's what we made at home last night

E's Terrific Turkey Tacos (recipe inspired by Real Simple magazine's version)

ingredients:
1 yellow onion
1 pound ground turkey
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
olive oil
flour tortillas

whatever fixings you like:lettuce, tomato, cheese, etc.

Directions
-Heat the oil in a skillet on medium heat, add onion and cook for about 4 minutes
- Add turkey, cook about 7 minutes
-Stir in chili powder and salt

-Meanwhile, in another skillet, fry flour tortillas in a little olive oil
-stack on a plate, in between paper towels if needed.

-Spoon the turkey filling into the tortillas and add fixings!

Since Monday night is 'game night' here, we played and then ended with 'Time for Bed Treasure Hunt.' Here's how to play - I hid Miss P's pajamas in the car in the garage. Her latest book went under my pillow, and her toothbrush and toothpaste were in the guest bath. I left clues in all the spots and began by handing her the first one. P loves treasure hunts so this was a fun way to get ready for bed. I got this idea from Sneaky Fitness by Missy Chase Lapine. Goal being to have fun and to move! Again, our house is perfect, as it is three levels. I purposely made it so she would have to go up and down the stairs several times. Some of the clues called for her to walk, run, or dance to the next location. And you know what, I found myself with a nice little endorphin rush at the end of the night too!

2 comments:

Hilary said...

Jen, I think this is SUCH a great idea. You're so smart!

Jen said...

Don't give me too much credit Hilary! The idea came from a book! I did write my own clues...although I'm sure yours would be wittier! : )