Wednesday, December 15, 2010

my sixtween year old...

Oh the joys of a six year old......

Remember the last post, where I said I was going to keep it real?

Here's another doozy....

I have thought maybe I shouldn't post these things, as it may be classier and/or kinder (to Miss P) to leave out her ....poor choices. Then I thought about all the braggy posts I have shared about her, and this is way to....well, like I said, keep it real. Plus, one of my besties told me the other day that reading about P's 'lazy' comment to me helped her feel a little better regarding the zingers her lovelies have aimed her direction.

So, here we are driving to church on Sunday morning and P is prattling on about spelling patterns in words. I misheard something she said and asked her about it, and her response was something to the lines of, "Mom, I said this, not that. You didn't hear me right. You must not have a very good brain."

woa.

We had a big talk about that comment. A talk that was revisited later in the day, and then this morning. I think she got the picture. She tells me that she was just trying out a way to be funny, and she did not think about it being hurtful at the time.

On the plus side, after school today I had mega errands to run for the classroom. After putting together the class gift for P's teacher, we trekked to Fremont to the Scholastic warehouse, which had a huge sale for teachers. I had my eye on some books to give as gifts to my students and was not disappointed. I was actually quite giddy. How I love a bookstore! Anyway, Miss P and I sang and told jokes and riddles on the way up. It occurred to me how lonely and different it would be to do this errand without her. I have been doing so much holiday stuff lately and have nicknamed her my little elf. (The three of us actually watched Elf together on Saturday night, and Miss P had quite the time later playing 'Chrismas Elf.') We continued to tell jokes and riddles through our IN-n-Out dinner and final errand to Micheal's. I finally had to put a kibosh on the jokes on our way home after a three hour jaunt.

Finally, my favorite joke of the night...

How does a goose say goodbye to his friends?

'Geese Out!'

2 comments:

Lorna said...

Sounds like another wonderful time you and Miss P. Yes ... those occasional zingers do hurt but they are part of the process of learning and growing. Shoot I'm sure you still hear zingers from adults. :-P Hang in there you are doing awesome.

Hilary said...

Ok, I seem to remember something coming out of Conner's mouth at a similar time.
I also seem to remember Mrs. Ross talking a lot about our brains and how you have good brains.
And if some people have good brains...
Well, you get the gist. :)