Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Rookie Proof Pillow!

I'm so excited. I made a pillow! Actually I made TWO pillows (or pillow covers if you want to get specific.) This is huge as I am all thumbs with stuff like this. I'd been craving some new spring-like throw pillows, but did not want to spend the $$. I somehow got the idea to try and make my own no-sew pillows. Here are the results:

Before - faded pillow



After: Springy new Chevron pillow

Like I said, there are actually two (somehow I didn't snap of a picture of him with his brother on the couch). I looked at several tutorials online, and my visual spatial self had quite the time with them. : ) I ended up creating my own.


You will need:

Cute fabric of your choice

scissors

stitch witchery

iron

adhesive velcro dots



Directions:
Step 1: Cut fabric to fit the size of your pillow


Step 2: Cut a strip of stitch witchery (remove wrapping first; I learned this the hard way), and using the iron, seal one end of your pillow cover





Step 3: Apply stitch witchery down the middle seam, and iron again to seal shut.



Step 4: (not pictured) Turn pillow right side out once cooled. The bottom seam and middle seam are done. Insert pillow form in through the top opening of the pillow. Finally, fold over material at the top of the pillow and attach velcro dots, to close final seam (and allow for an opening to take this pillow form out when it is time for another change!)




Voila! another look at the rookie pillow!





Visit thecsiproject.com

4 comments:

Laurie @ Stylin Savanna said...

Hey! I'm visiting from Erin's blog over at Sunny Side Up. I love the pillow! I've always wanted to do one but anytime paint is involved with me it always seems to fail. Haha !Love the blog.. cute! New Follower. xo

Erin said...

Hi Jen! LOVE your new pillow! So fun for spring!! Thanks for sharing it with me! :)

Restaurant Brugge said...

thanks 4 sharing this post with us

Olivia: (mostly) Happy Homemaker said...

Love the recipe and LOVE the pillow!! Great job!! I would love details because I truly AM all thumbs when it comes to sewing machines.

And when I had to recently buy several accent pillows, I learned that the pros buy 90/10 down inserts an inch or two larger than the pillow case. It does make them look professional!