Thursday, October 30, 2008

Musings of the week...
















Add in some pictures of me corraling kindergarteners as they paint on themselves and assert their 'independent spirits' (wink) and there you have my week!
Alright, so I can't quite stop there...time for the quick and dirty on several topics...
* * * * *
*Last Saturday our playgroup had its big Halloween party (photo 1). It was a blast. One of the final activities was for the kids to 'mummy wrap' the dads with TP. As we 'wrapped up' the party, the kids found a way to entertain themselves. This was on actually very little sugar...
* * * * *
*Sunday morning after church we decided to go for broke and head to Gilroy Gardens, a family theme park and (as the name implies) gardens. It was decked out for Halloween with scarecrows, pumpkins and they had a treasure hunt. If you can believe it, Miss P literally had to be dragged crying, Ok driven crying. It was one of those 'do I, or don't I' parenting moments. Before we had fully decided to go, we mentioned to Miss P that it was a possibility. "I'm too tired," she told me. Despite that, E and I decided we really wanted to go, make use of our season pass, and have a fun outing (as opposed to staying home and inevitably cleaning the house). We kept putting P off with, 'let's just keep thinking about it,' however as I pulled onto the freeway onramp, she could no longer be fooled and wailed about going. Do we turn around? Commonsense says yes. But we had the sense that her mood would change on a dime once we arrived. And, survey says...yes! it did! (Photos 2, 3 and 4) Score one for mom and dad.
* * * * *
*My students were not in the finest form this week. They had a sub last Thurs and Fri, which may have contributed, and it is Halloween Week. Next week is going to be better! I am going to try and build in a little more downtime for the class, which I think will help. Also this week, I headed up Family Fun Night for our Upper grade students. We had a Halloween-themed dance night. So fun! Thriller, Ghostbusters, a 'dance off' to 'Stayin' Alive.'

*Last night we had the rehearsal for my brother in-law's (Halloween night!) wedding at a winery in Los Gatos. Miss P and her cousin (last photo) are the flower girls. The matching dresses they are wearing were birthday presents from the bride. At the dinner both girls received hot pink jack 'o lanterns filled with treats including Halloween undies (the hit, which Miss P immediately donned this a.m.), and an orange tracksuit from Gymobree. We are looking forward to the extended family get-together.
* * * * *
*Coming up: this Sunday my mom and I will venture to my cousin's wedding shower. I'm looking forward to it, but will the madness ever stop? Will this post.....?

1 comment:

Cindy said...

It all sounds like a lot of fun! How wonderful that your daughter gets to be a flower girl.