Sunday, November 16, 2008

What I'll definitely be doing this December


Is it just me, or can preparing for the holidays almost feel like planning a small wedding each year?

I'm not really complaining. I actually love to plan, organize and take part in all of the festivities. I do think, though, that Christmas (or whatever holiday you celebrate in December) can be more enjoyable if you focus and savor the joys of just a few things, as opposed to doing everything. I read an article on simplifying Christmas last year that suggested determining what 3-5 things were most important to you and your family at holiday time, and doing just that.

Here are my must do's for making the holiday season special (some of them may seem a little silly or superficial, but, hey this is me!):

1) Christmas Music: I love Christmas movies. The ABC Family channel plays original cheesy Christmas movies each year that I typically eat up with a spoon and some hot chocolate. Sometimes, though, it feels a little forced. Like - 'Oh! It's December, better pull out the Christmas movies for the mandatory viewings.' That's not the case with my holiday songs. I love them so much that they are always at the top of my itunes 'most played list' -- even though I only listen for a month each year.

2) Christmas Cards: We missed sending out cards in '05, and I was sorely disappointed. I adore receiving cards, especially the 'family photo' style cards almost everyone does now. I even love getting the 'holiday letter' some people do. I have started saving my cards and putting them in a little scrapbook, which I occasionally look at.

3) Get-togethers with special family and friends: My school has a little holiday shindig (potluck at someone's house of course), and some of E's friends from high school throw a big party that is kind of like a reuinion every December. Both of these events are nice, but I could truthfully miss them and be OK. (One year, we were so starved for a date, that we did miss my school party and went to see 'The Holiday' with Kate Winslet and Cameron Diaz - which is now one of my favorite movies of all time, btw.) However, there are a few get-togethers that are really special to me. I have a few friends that I got my teaching credential with. Two of them teach in my district and are married with their own families now. We have a very special friendship and I really relish our annual little Christmas celebration. One has a son Miss P's age and I have a great pic from their first Christmas with the two of them in little red suits clawing at each other, while I laugh hysterically in the background.

It also wouldn't feel like Christmas without my aunt and uncle's party. Growing up, my family spent all its holidays with the relatives on my dad's side - we're talking every special day. As everyone has grown, changed, moved and branched out, that is not the case anymore. However, we still make it to my aunt and uncle's party which is now the weekend before Christmas each year. Spending time with the family I grew up with really says Christmas to me!

4) Special clothes: During these special get-togethers it's important that I (and Miss P) have something special to wear. Not necessarily fancy, just (subtle) festive, cute and appropriate.

5) Church and the true meaning. Finally, attending mass on Christmas Eve is a must-do (as well as pretty much every Sunday). As Miss P gets older (and now attends religious education), I have been really enjoying teaching her about the true meaning of holidays, and Christmas is a big one! Something new I'd like to add to this vein, is a way to give back to the community. We've done different things in the past. I've been talking to E and Miss P about this and I have a few ideas that I will be posting later.

What's on your list?

2 comments:

Hilary said...

Church obviously plays a huge roll for us, but since we're away from family we have to really search. We go to the bethlehem at the Baptist church (AMAZING for P's age), there's a chreche exhibit up in Palo Alto full of manger scenes from around the world, we put up the tree (I used to joke when we were first married that our only family tradition was fighting while we put up the tree -- but I think we've grown since then).

jeenaw said...

Jen,
I also look forward to our yearly get togethers!! It is one of the highlights of the holiday! Can't wait to have everyone over this year! Yea!!