Friday, November 21, 2008

Relationship Building

Last year E and I took a parenting class called 'Raising a Resilient Child in the 21st Century.' It was awesome. Partway through the class we realized that it was really a class about building relationships, not just parenting. A lot of what we learned could be applied to all of the relationships in our lives. However, building relationships is the #1 key to parenting. Not rewards and punishments, sticker charts, etc. But listening, talking, playing and connecting with your children. There's more I'd like to say on this in another post. But what I've been thinking about is some of the homework assignments we had. One was to go on a 'one-on-one' date with your child. Another was to 'make a memory' with your child. Do something that they might remember forever (or at least for a really long time!) My challenge to myself beginning in Dec is going to be to do weekly one-on-one dates with P, and 'make a memory' with her once a month. Brainstorming (affordable) memory making ideas may be a bit tough, but it is very important to me (see my #1 Life Goal on sidebar) . Here's the kicker - I'm going to do the same thing with E! Although I think we will have to do a monthly date. Any ideas for memory making experiences for either? I'm in the market....

2 comments:

Hilary said...

We do monthly date night. One kid goes out (and gets 20$ to spend -- so it's a budgeting lesson as well), and the other one stays home (and isn't allowed to use any money, but he can use the resources we have at hoome to make dinner, play games, etc). It's huge. It really makes a difference in behavior and just getting insight into them. I'm not sure what they remember from it all, but I know it builds relationships of trust and that's what it's all about (well,that and sticker charts :) )

The Mrs. said...

I'd love to hear more on this. I do one on ones with landon and they are so fun. The making a memory thing is such a great way to think about it!