Thursday, November 6, 2008

No room for error!

Brrr....we've had various types of weather in the last week and a half. Very warm, to very rainy, to now - cold! I am bundled as we speak.

I have not posted since Halloween as I've been trying to prioritze....I've been bellyaching about stuff that needs to get done, and I finally decided to do something about it! On Saturday (November 1st) we did a major cleaning blitz at home. Our 'secret' to a tidy house: Keep the visitor-trafficked areas (living/dining room, kitchen, guest bathroom, Miss P's room) respectable, while ignoring (not quite) the rest. I decided I didn't want to sleep with the paper shredder next to my bed anymore, so we kicked it's silver metal body out of the room along with E's bobblehead collection. (Bobblehead collection had been waiting in an oh-so-attractive brown box lid, along with a collage frame needing updated photos and a Giants poster. The collection of items had been waiting -- who knows how long -- to make a new home in E's classroom on some mystical future day. I intervened and 'arranged' for the box to move to E's car - unsure if bobbleheads have reached their destination yet.)

Anyway, when I figured out all the things I should be doing to stay on top of the multiple areas of my life at the level I would like to - home (and all that entails) and work (with a partner teacher, student teacher, and twenty families to answer to) - it's a bit daunting. I 'masquerade' as part-time, but it often feels like I'm trying to squeeze full-time work into three days. That's why sometimes it feels like there is no room for error. If I get off schedule, there seems to be a domino effect....and I have one child, and two days off a week! I am in admiration of moms who have mulitple children and full time jobs. (Secrets, anyone?)

When it is good, it is exhilerating to have such full and stimulating days. Other times it can feel a little overwhelming.

I am (trying) to read Quantum Wellness by Kathy Freston. It talks about visualizing what you want, setting an intention, educating yourself about the changes you'd like to make, and then letting yourself shift naturally. I'm only on page 13, but it is resonating with me. Although I was talking about organization and workload above, I do think that is connected to health and wellness, as this book is about health from a mind, body, and spirit perspective.

So, I will find time to do more frequent and likely shorter posts, while forging ahead on what I need to get done. What I know for sure: it is all about how you look at it. Attitude is the key. Because life is what you make it!

2 comments:

Hilary said...

I am religious about a 10 minute tidy. I set my microwave for 10 minutes and I just clean that whole time. I start in the back of the house and move to the front. This isn't a time to break down and go crazy organizing, but it gets everything put away (and because you did it yesterday things aren't too insane -- hopefully). I also have a religious schedule that I have for cleaning and laundry. I probably only spend an hour total on all of that every day. And it's well split up so it's doable even on days that I work.
But we all fall short.
Were moms for gosh sakes -- the pay just isn't worth it some days. :)

Sandra said...

You have made some great progress! Looking forward to more posts! Suggestions: Kept a list of all that I needed to do. I used my summers to organize my life :) so that the school year would run more smoothly!!
I also had a housekeeper that came every other week. That made all the difference. I did laundry during the week, so that Saturdays were more fun!