Sunday, November 9, 2008

Fun and Games, or How to be the Life of Your Next Party

Oh, I wish I had taken a picture. Last night our playgroup had 'parents night out,' or a 'simultaneous girls and guys night out.' (Girls gathered in one half of the house, guys on the other.) Great times, but we decided to mix it up a bit and play some charades!

I love games. I'm the person who loves activities at showers and even makes parents (sometimes) play ice-breakers at Back to School Night. Oh, people good naturedly moan and groan at first, but, wouldn't you know - everyone is smiling and laughing and having fun in spite of themself within just a bit. I've always wanted to partake in a good old fashioned game of charades, and so last night was the night. The theme was movies and - thank God - I got the easy ones! (Top Gun, A fish called Wanda, Striptease, Full Metal Jacket, to name a few). We did girls against guys and then a 'couples speed round.' Too fun!

I got to thinking about some other games I've enjoyed and thought I'd share. I recommend this game on Thanksgiving while you are letting the turkey digest.

"Consequences." A friend from England taught me this game, and it is E's family's favorite. (some people have recipes, I have entertainment!) You need at least 6 people with a writing tool and piece of paper each. One person gives the 'writing prompts' and everyone passes their paper to the right. Here is how it goes:

1) Write down the name of a woman - someone everyone in the group knows. She can be famous or just familiar. Underneath her name, write the word 'met.' (Then pass to the right)

2) Write a man's name (same directions as with the woman). Underneath his name, write the word 'at.' (pass)

3) Write a place. Underneath write, 'He said to her.' (pass)

4) Write 'a saying.' Underneath that, write, 'She said to him.' (pass)

5) Write another saying. Underneath that, write, 'As a consequence....' (pass)

6) Write a consequence! (pass)

7) One at a time, each person reads their papers out loud.

This is great fun! After one round, each group will 'get it' and find a humor that fits them - from silly to 'R' rated. Great way to bring people together!

No comments: