Wednesday, May 19, 2010

How often does this happen to you?

Tuesday night was Open House. I took a break from preparing in the afternoon to treat myself to a 'fountain' diet coke at the nearby Carl's Jr. I was kind of hot, as it's been muggy, and in a hurry. As I pulled up and got out of my car, I noticed a kind of scummy looking young man who looked really unhappy leaning against the building.

As I approached the CJ's he asked me to get him something to eat. I did an automatic, 'no, I'm sorry.' He replied with, 'I promise it won't be more than $3..." with his voice trailing off.

As I was inside ordering my soda, I thought about it. I had a wad of money in my wallet. I tend to easily buy small things, like magazines, coffee (and diet soda). (That may be not the best use of my money, but that is another post....) Anyway, I thought, how could I not help him?

So when I exited, I handed him a few dollars. He asked if I was sure, and then shook my hand. Have to admit that I washed my hands right after.

How often does this experience happen to you?

2 comments:

The 5 Bickies said...

It doesn't happen much at my local drive thrus but sometimes happens in the city. I prefer them asking for food than money and will usually oblige if it's just food. I had a mother with her baby in a stroller one time ask. I had to say yes to them!

Hilary said...

Hmmm.....
I give really generously to local charities so I don't feel badly when I don't hand out on the street.
Sometimes I feel really impressed to give at that point, and I do -- but it's rare. :)