Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy Earth Day


This evening we celebrated Earth Day by seeing the new movie of the same day. It was really good! It was released by Disney Nature and is a documentary following three animal families - elephants, humpback whales, and polar bears. I am not a big documentary person. You won't find me, glasses on, watching the Discovery Channel, or reading National Geographic. It just aint gonna happen! However, I was completely enthralled by this movie.
E and Miss P liked it too. However, there was a bit too much 'circle of life' happening, if you know what I mean, for P's taste. Poor thing had to hide her eyes several times. Unfortunately, she is also a loud movie talker, and peppered us with questions throughout. We were just waiting for someone to turn around and glare, which fortunately, didn't happen.
An understatement, I know, but watching this movie really reminded me of how incredible our Earth is. How animals communicate with each other and instinctively make complex decisions. There is a scene where lions and elehpants are circling each other and the hungry lions are trying to figure out how to get to the elephant calfs. The calfs are too well protected, so they figure out a way to seperate one of the elephants from the herd, and then all the lions attack it at night. I was quietly saying, 'shit, shit, shit' over and over (I never usually swear - I just don't).
Anyway, go see it. Just think about preparing small, sensitive ones first.

1 comment:

Hilary said...

Stuff like that makes me SO grateful that we don't live amongst lions -- but in reality we do (we see a lot of "lions" at the high school) just waiting to get your kid separated from their group...
Luckily it's not as bloody. :)