Wednesday, September 17, 2008

So far, a great, yet exhausting year...

Whew, another marathon day. Left the house about 7:20 a.m., made my 'must stop' to Starbucks, then arrived to the classroom to begin my day. Rolled up my sleeves, and dug into work, prioritizing and tweaking lessons for the 45 minutes before the students arrived. When the first bell rang, it was time to put on the music, and get the show on the road. I think the actress in me (I starred in the high school plays), loves the chance to be on stage, the controlling part of me, the leader, loves to have the autonomy, and the mommy part of me likes to be able to have chunks of the day where I can calmly focus on projects without interruption (this would be before and after the students are in the room!) After a high energy day with just a 40 minute lunch break, I had a two hour grade level meeting. Was I done then? No! I zipped next door to pick my daughter up at preschool, chatted with friends outside for a bit, settled her back in my room and let her watch two videos and eat a snack and then finally dinner, while I called and emailed parents, made copies, prepped an art project, read through and sorted parent paperwork, and called my partner (who is on tomorrow) to chat about everything and plan curriculum. Despite it all, I have to say, I am really enjoying this school year.

And I don't want to think or talk work, until I'm 'on again' next Monday.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I can't believe how teachers keep it on all day. I have the luxury of closing my office door and not answering my phone if I want. I'm glad there are people like you in the classroom!