Friday, August 29, 2008

You watch what?

OK, raise your hand if you have a daughter and have seen a Barbie movie. I'm telling you, these movies are good. I've always been neutral on Barbie. However, when my daughter first received a doll at age 3 or 3 1/2 from a friend, I felt she was a bit young...however, being fairly relaxed about things like this, I shrugged and moved on. A friend's little girl who is a year older then got into Barbie big time and we were introduced to the movies. People, these are quality productions. Unlike the website (which I'm not a fan of), Barbie isn't portrayed as a simpering fashionista. Instead, in each film she is a brave, strong woman who makes good choices as she navigates through the plot. There are 2 categories of movies: musicals and action/adventure which are often based on familiar stories, such as Rapunzel. The musicals (Princess and the Pauper and Island Princess) are my favorite. The songs, particularly in Princess and Pauper, are amazing and the choreography is impresive too. I also recommend The Nutcracker and Swan Lake. No singing in these movies, but the music, of course is also beautiful. Need a little down time for your small fry....give these a try!

1 comment:

Hilary said...

K, I have to admit that movies like this make me happy that I have boys. I've never watched one -- but it makes me glad that they're at least pro-women. Perhaps that makes-up for their excess of pink. :)