Monday, May 21, 2012

Apparently....


Apparently, it is already Summer in my universe, as our weekend was filled with fun, sun, and nary a chore in sight. (OK, there was one chore which we got out of the way at 9:00 a.m. Saturday morning, after that it was all good times.)

Both days we were gone for 10 to 12 hours. We packed in shopping, a birthday party, a quick date to 'What to Expect When You're Expecting' (cute and I cried, so I give it a thumbs up). We hit a festival, attended a jewelry party, visited with various friends and relatives, went to a pug rescue event and got a few steps closer to adoption, and had a blast with our friends at a Solar Eclipse BBQ.

Speaking of the Solar Eclipse BBQ, have you tried any of BF's Skinnygirl beverages? I've had her margarita that started it all and we picked up the Pina Colada variety at BevMo so I could have a taste test with the girls. The verdict: with lots of ice to make it nice and cold it is light and refreshing. However, it is a little like coconut flavored water (even without all the ice). I defnitely miss the taste of the rich, blended typical pina colada. However, again, this is a healthier (?) and diet version, so what do you expect, right?

I did also make the Riley Margarita for 'the gang.'  Now, this is a drink to write home about. See recipe at bottom.  Apparently, Ed, above had too much of the Riley Margarita as it looks like I am posing with a wax statue. (Either that, or the solar eclipse bewitched him!)

Today was our last furlough of the school year, and, apparently, I had nothing to do. I, too, was maybe a little *bewitched* (maybe by the margaritas), as I woke up this morning and decided to read for awhile. I'd just started The Bungalow the night before. Holy Cow, that book took over, and I finished it by 9:15 this morning. Oops. A little off schedule, I rounded up Miss P who had been happily fending for herself and ushered her off to the playdate she had been graciously invited to, so that I could work on report cards today. When I was invited by the other moms present at the playdate to sit down with some coffee cake, I could hardly say no. That would be rude. So there went an hour and a half.  After that I had to swing by the store. Target was blessedly empty; I wanted to spin and sing in the aisles with my shopping cart. Fortunately I did not, as I ran into an old Las Madres friend. Whenever I see a mom who was a really integral part of our group in its heyday, I feel such a pull of nostalgia. When I worked part-time, (Miss P, birth to 5) and spent so many days the park, or singing group, the zoo, etc., with Miss P and these moms and their kids...wow. Happiest time of my life. Anyway, this mom has two younger children now, and it was so fun to catch up with her and see her handsome now 8-year old son.  Instead of teeth brushing and potty training, the talk now turns to homework and extracurriculars. I so hope to get a reunion going with the group this summer.

Apparently, I'm putting off my report cards. Here's my margarita recipe...hope summer is showing up for you too!

Riley Margarita
Ice
1 1/2 ounces tequila (blanco, 100 percent agave)
Lime juice or margarita mix
swirl of triple sec
floater of brandy
shake it/swirl it and drink!

No comments: