Thursday, January 22, 2009

What do you like to read?

Sometimes I hesitate telling people I love to read, because the next question is, "what are you
reading now?" Or, "what is your favorite book?" I am not one who reads serious, critically acclaimed books. They are too often depressing. I realize when it comes to books (and movies) there is a particular formula I love: in the beginning of the story, the protagonist is facing some kind of challenge, or is in need of a life 'reinvention.' Protagonist works hard, and after various trials and tribulations, and a little bit of luck, ends up on top. (A little humor and romance thrown in helps as well). So, your basic inspirational story, without violence, or other awful happenings. A little predictable, but entertaining and feel good.

Right now, I'm reading Comfort Food by Kate Jacobs, author of The Friday Night Knitting Club. (I haven't read the knitting club books yet, they are next on my list.) I have to say - I love Comfort Food. Curling up with it each night has been such a treat.

Other favorites of mine:

Waiting for Birdy by Catherine Newman.
The Undomestic Goddess and Remember Me? both by Sophie Kinsella.
Amanda Bright@home by Danielle Crittenden
It's not about the Bike by Lance Armstrong.
Mrs. Pefect and Odd Mom Out by Jane Porter.

They may not be on Oprah's book club list, but they've been wonderful reads for me. When it comes to books, do you have a particular formula you subscribe to?

3 comments:

The 5 Bickies said...

Looks like all of your choices in books and movies are right up my alley. I loved the Friday Night Knitting Club and have Comfort Food to start next. I also just read the first Shopaholic book by Kinsella. Can't wait to read the rest. Thanks for sharing your list. I will be looking for some at the library.

Erin said...

I totally agree! Life is tough enough and, for me, books and movies need to serve as an escape. I am going to take your book list to Hawaii with me! Thanks for the recommendations!

The Mrs. said...

I'm trying to figure out what to read next...just read the Shack!