Tuesday, July 22, 2008

New trick...


I have a just developed new strategy for keeping P busy, when I just want to get something done. The oven timer. P looovvees to play with me, and its easy to spend the whole day carting her around to activities, reading stories, playing dolls, etc. (I'm a big sucker), with just enough time to get the basics done ("cook" a few meals, tidy up after, maybe a load of laundry, some basic personal grooming, i.e. shower) and that's about it. However, I'm someone who needs to be able to regularly accomplish significant things - like, 'hey, I organized a closet,' or 'I got two scrapbooking pages done,' or something. Without a sib to play/argue with, I'm usually the fall guy, even though I know she can entertain herself.


I just set the oven timer for 20 minutes and said, "This is my time to get a few things done. As soon as the timer goes off, we can play. I can't be interrupted before the timer sounds." It's worked like a charm, no "now, can we play? now are you done?"


Hopefully this will work! I would love to make some major progress on my to-do list before school starts. Does anyone else have tips?


No comments: