Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Baby Shower





So, last Saturday I had a baby shower for my sister-in-law Erin. I was lucky to have three of my other sister-in-laws co-host it with me. My jobs included providing the home, decorating, games, prizes, and the cake - or cupcakes - in this case. There was some typical drama the day before, and the day of our hallway toilet started leaking (yikes!), but the event turned out beautifully.


I tried really hard to come up with some new games and activities since I just had a shower for a different sister in law last Spring followed by another SIL shower a few months later that summer. This time we played a fun memory game that involved a poster board that had a bunch of baby type words like 'bottle', 'grandparents', etc. Each word or phrase was on the board twice and covered with a number. To play, guests sat in a circle and chose two numbers, like 7 and 12. If the words under the two numbers matched the guest received a candybar that matched the phrase. For example: a package of lifesavers went with 'grandparents.'

We also did a group toast to the mom to be, in which everyone shared advice, thoughts, or wishes for the new family. Very sweet and we even got some tears (score! : ) ) The last game was the gift-opening bingo, where everyone tries to anticipate the gifts the new mom will get, writes them on a sheet, and covers them with stickers if and when those gifts are opened.
My sil's nursery will be pink and brown, so we went with those colors for the theme. At Michael's craft store, I found some Martha Stewart paper 'pom poms' in pink which I hung from the ceiling - it really added a fun touch.
If it wasn't for birthday parties and baby showers, I probably would hardly ever entertain. Sad!


No comments: