Thursday, September 18, 2008

Top reasons I'm a slacker mom lately!

Today as Paige and I shared a typical Friday morning, stopping at Starbucks for my cup of heaven and Paige's chocolate milk, followed by a walk through the shopping center to pause at Diddam's Halloween decorations and peruse the latest magazines at Safeway (P: Disney Princess and Fairies, Me: Us Weekly), I had an epiphany: Aren't there other things I should be doing right now? I am slackin'! Here are some other areas I've been slacking in lately:

3) Miss P's school readiness: P attends a play based preschool three days a week. I hear she is doing great (i.e.: she cooperates, takes turns, is attentive at circle time, etc). I know she's a pretty bright cookie in terms of language development and general knowledge. I also know she is only writing the first three letters of her name independently. Developmentally appropriate? Yes. I also know as a kindergarten teacher, that it will behoove her to have strong fine motor next year. Do I do anything to support this at home? Very little. Seems like we are too busy having fun singing and dancing...
2) Program watching: Thank heavens for the high quality children's programs out there, or I'd really be mortified. (I can hear 'Steve' singing now: "line, line, circle, circle..") P doesn't really watch that much I guess, but there has been an increase lately. Last year P would go three to four days a week without watching any TV (yes, I counted), and now I feel like I give in too quickly when I have something important to do, you know, like talk on the phone or blog.
1) Nutrition: Oh lord, this is the biggie. Again, P used to eat very healthy as a baby and toddler. Now as a preschooler who obviously only eats people food, she has adopted my sub-par eating habits. I'm one who longs to eat healthy, but totally caves for fast food and sweets. Like one who tries every diet and fails, I have tried many healthy eating regimes, that end up going south after a few weeks. Making matters worse, she has received, I don't know, 5? goody bags at preschool filled with suckers and hard candy, along with a full-size bag of cotton candy at a back to (pre)school carnival. 1 point for me for at least trashing that stuff ASAP. However -1 point for the fruit snacks and granola bar she had for dinner (in my classroom) when I was working late last Wednesday night...
So, there you have it. I'm a slacker... : )
How about you???
Update: Paige turned off the TV and is now on the floor next to me practicing her name and drawing people. Maybe there is hope for us yet!!!

2 comments:

Hilary said...

3 -- every child has their strengths. Your child is a big singer, mine is not.
2 -- I just gave in and Spencer gets 1 hour of TV/day. I am trying to find the balance between shows I think teach him, and ones he finds exciting (but not too exciting -- some shows just get him CRAZY)
1 -- Your child likes something that is fairly good for her -- focus on that. :) For myself, Conner loves tomatoes, and Spencer loves cucumers. Needless to say we grow a lot of both of those in our garden. And all moms suck on the food chain every now and then, what do people want from us?

Sandra said...

You sound like a wonderful mom to me! I used to feel the same way you do, but trust me, you are doing a great job. And in the years to come, you little one will have wonderful memories of singing and dancing. All that "school stuff" will be fine. I have living proof of what I am saying - my two grown children :) Keep singing and dancing!!!