Saturday, March 2, 2013

Day in the life - March 1

Hi there! I love "Day in the Life" posts. I'm a big reader of memoirs and a fan of reality TV.  Real life is fascinating to me.  So when Kelly's Korner decided to do a DITL link-up, I was game to take part. (I wasn't prepared in advance so I kind of fudged it with pictures.) Here was our Friday!!



6:40 a.m. - Groan at the late hour and hurry out of bed.  I worked late last night and I've been fighting something. Throw on workout clothes and zip downstairs to free Cooper from his kennel. Meanwhile Ed wakes Paige up to meet me downstairs for the last of our thrice weekly  workouts.

6:45 - 7:15 - Walk Cooper and run with Miss P. P tries to fib on distance. : )



7:15 - 7:55 -  Quickly get ready. Paige and I put Cooper in his 'room,' grab our stuff and head to the car en route to school.  Work for me teaching kindergarten; third grade for P.



7:55 - 8:10 - Light traffic - yay!

8:10 - 11:40 - Greet my 30 students (actually only 26 today as we've had rotating illness in room 2.)  One parent tells me (after the bell has rung) that her child shouldn't eat lunch today as it will conflict with his afternoon dentist appointment (she asks that he eat earlier in the classroom)?  I'm lucky to have a parent helper today and she gets to work stapling various projects. Her adorable younger child joins my class. 27 kids now. :)  Fire drill at 8:40. Oops forgot about that - oh well, at least it was a 'genuine' experience.  Pull reading groups and feel less organized than I'd like. Too much to do lately!


After reading, walk kids to dance class and help teacher manage kids as she teaches them the "Hukilau." I believe this is the dance that 'Baby's' big sister was practicing for in 'Dirty Dancing.'  Anyway. From there walk the kids to recess and distribute snack.  Immediately one of my students "D" collides with a student from another class.  She is not seriously hurt but hysterical.  I help her to connect with other student and talk about it, and then assign kids to sit with her at recess while I run to the bathroom.

Have buddy time with third graders and then math after recess, D is still crying (loudly) an hour after playground collision, and my usual strategies aren't working, so I call her mom to problem solve. Mom clearly feels bad but is unable to help.  I end up holding D's hand or having her sit on my lap while trying to teach math, which has gotten a bit muddled.  Take kiddos to lunch.

11:40 - 12:25 - Lunchtime. Heat up chicken tortilla soup from last night's dinner. Receive report that D won't eat lunch and has been taken to the nurse. No temp or other signs of illness.  Call mom with update. Another student, 'T' has partially wet his pants because he doesn't like using the school bathrooms (despite our 'project clean' campaign) : )  We check his backpack for clean clothes. When none can be found, I call his mom and leave her a message. T says he doesn't mind his partially wet pants and cheerfully tells a classmate his predicament

12:25 - 1:55 - Finish math and then coordinate play center time. It's a minimum day so teachers can work on report cards. Pull a few kids for math testing. T's mom shows up with new clothes. Afternoon is uneventful! Line kids up for dismissal. Fill in day care guy about D's day.  Take student C to office as babysitter hasn't shown up. Babysitter sends friend to pick up C, so principal asks me to help track down actual babysitter before releasing C, which I do.  In the midst of all this, P is dismissed and goes home with her bestie for a playdate.

1:55 - 2:15  - Take brief break to run to Safeway and buy some chocolate and a magazine.


2:15 - 4:15 - Force myself to focus on work (nibbling on chocolate) as I'm tired after a loong week.. Plan and prep for next week.  Take brief break to talk to colleagues about student progress and testing.  Finally pack up stuff. Will need to work on report cards this weekend!!

4:15 - 5:00 - Pick up Paige and head home.  Discuss science fair project. Walk Cooper.  Plop down on couch. Did I say it's been a long week?


5:00 - 6:30 - read and nap on couch while Paige watches Disney Channel movie.  Every few minutes Cooper comes over and nudges me (he's probably hungry.) I finally awaken enough to remind P to feed him. We've promised her McDonald's tonight because she wants a hex bug (sp). I usually cook a good dinner.




6:30 -8:30 - Ed brings home McD's. It's a little cold, bummer. We eat on the couch and channel surf.  There is a lot of mutual teasing, of the 'while you're up,' variety.

8:30 - We kick P's behind off the couch and send her lovingly to bed.  Ed and I chat and hang out. We stay up late (due to my nap earlier) and eventually walk Cooper and put him to bed.


There you have it! The good, the bad, and the ugly. What's your average Friday like?

No comments: