Monday, October 24, 2011

My favorite girl, and maybe my favorite recipe

I'm not the only writer in the house! This morning, Paige's class held a mini-writing celebration for families. Paige's teacher stayed with her after school on Friday until 4 p.m. perfecting this piece. My girl is a workhorse. (Her teacher isn't too shabby either!) Paige's memoir is of her seventh birthday party. Apparently Build-a-Bear and its accoutrements was worth it!

Afterwords there was cookie and juice for the kids, and I decided to snap a few pics of P's artwork. Above is her depiction of a city. You can't make it out here, but there is a "Jean Paige" (or by its more well-known name, Paige Denim) store on the left hand side - yellow building on end.
This is her original 'Wild Thing,' inspired by Maurice Sendak's classic.
And finally, a traditional pumpkin picture. I'm thinking there must have been an art lesson on scale, balance, space, or something in there somewhere. I like it!

During the events, I snuck over to my classroom and peaked in the window. I noted a couple of cabinet doors open, which told me that my sub was probably tearing the room apart looking for something. I correctly guessed scissors and brought her a couple of extra pairs lickety split.

After that amazing save, I got to read with kids, hang in the classroom, and be a mama for the rest of the morning. (By the way, do you know the book Thank You Mr. Falker ? Even after hearing it, and reading it multiple times, I still bawl. I seriously need help.) I returned to my kinders in the afternoon and then helped my big kid (student teacher) plan her upcoming lessons after school.

Today wrapped up with Shrimp and Shiitake Risotto. I can't believe I haven't shared this recipe (Fitness magazine, January 2011). It may be my favorite!


Ingredients

  • 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
  • 3 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
  • 1 cup Arborio rice
  • 3/4 cup dry sherry or dry white wine
  • 4 teaspoons olive oil
  • 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, caps sliced (about 2 cups)
  • 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
  • Pinch salt
  • 3/4 pound medium shrimp, shelled and cleaned (tails removed if desired)
  • 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
  • 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley

Directions

1. In a medium saucepan, bring the chicken broth to a simmer; reduce heat to low and keep warm.

2. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onion; saute until softened, 3 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon of the garlic; saute 30 seconds. Stir in the rice, then add 1/2 cup of the sherry; cook until absorbed, stirring frequently, about 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of the broth, stirring until absorbed, 2 minutes. Add remaining broth 1/2 cup at a time; stir each 1/2 cup until absorbed before adding the next. Cook, stirring frequently, until rice is tender and creamy, 20 to 25 minutes.

3. Heat 2 teaspoons of the olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and saute until golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon each of the garlic and thyme and the pinch of salt; saute 1 minute and transfer to a plate. Add remaining oil and the shrimp to empty pan; cook 2 minutes. Add remaining garlic and saute 1 minute more. Add remaining sherry and simmer 1 minute, until shrimp are just barely cooked through; set aside.

4. When the risotto has finished cooking, stir in shrimp and liquid, mushrooms, Parmesan, parsley and remaining thyme. Warm 2 minutes. Spoon into bowls and serve.

No comments: